Last Saturday I "decided" to give my portfolio design another spin. Fellow designers know what this means. Version #2191 this year. Each unfinished and not at all serving its purpose → Show the world, companies and therefore prospect clients what you do.
At the same time, while looking for some inspiration I stumbled upon the usual candidates who's work I highly value. One of them is Frank Chimero.
I noticed this subtle banner at the top of his page and it was some kind of a "hell yes, of course" moment. It's such a simple yet great idea. I decided to adapt it.
What you currently see here is 100% work in progress. On purpose.
I will document my tasks in this notion page.
By making this process transparent I'm hoping to take some pressure from the shoulders of fellow designers when designing their own.
There's an ego part here as well. I do this to put some pressure onto myself. "Launch early, iterate, improve, etc." Basically just following the digital product development mantras we all prey each day when working on client projects.
I would usually start with some scribbles, write the content, put stuff into figma / sketch and at a certain stage I'd start throwing things into webflow.
This time I went straight into webflow, chose a super minimalistic portfolio starter template and setup the very basic structure of the content. Since the cms plan in webflow is a little too €€ for my needs I then export the site and upload it to netlify.
This process is super simple. I literally just drag&drop the zip from webflow into netfliy and after 2 seconds a SSL secured website up and running.
From past portfolio design excursions it's become clear to me that clearly the content part need most effort. Especially as a digital designer where concepts, strategy, business aspect and process are mostly more relevant than only the visual aspects. I think both is equally important. Which makes creating a solid case study even harder.
In the past I also noticed that I struggled the most with the visuals. Mockups, screens etc. The ways of approaching it were overwhelming. Mostly ending up in placeholder graphics that would never get replaced.
That's why I decided to start with the hardest part instead, release early so I have the urge to write the copy for each case study.